Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Reading Response- Paper Towns [Due 1/6]

I just recently finished the book Paper Towns  by John Green for the second time. I had to have the story again- it was such a great read! This time I looked for something different besides the relationship between Quentin and Margo. This time through the book I noticed mostly things about Margo Roth Spiegelman and got a deeper look into her personality.

The first time I read this book I was more focused on the main plot in the story and what was going on with Quentin since he's the main character. This time around I focused in more on Margo because I knew that she's a secondary character and I wanted to pay closer attention to her and her role in the book. I noticed that in the beginning of the book when Quention and Margo don't really know eachother that well and Quentin admires Margo from afar, Margo seems like this stuck up-popular-cheerleader that always gets what she wants and has (of course) an amazing popular boyfriend who's the hottest kid in school. From far away, Margo seems like the kind of girl who would never want to be involved with someone like Quentin or people like Quentin's friends (Ben and Radar). It surprised me how weird it was between the two characters even though they had been some kind of family-friends since they were born. But Quentin totally got the wrong impression of who she was.

I think that Quentin got this wrong impression because he saw how Margo acted on the outside, but also because that's how Margo wanted to portray herself to the rest of the world. I think that Margo wanted people to think that she was this crazy outgoing girl that always gets everything she wants and has people waiting on her hand and foot because she's so pretty and popular and perfect. I'm not really sure why though. Maybe it's because she didn't want to show everyone who she really was.

I don't know the answer to this either- I don't know why Margo wouldn't want to show everyone who she really was, because personally? I like the real inside- Margo a lot better than the fake one on the outside. This "real Margo" really came out when she went missing and left clues for Quentin to find her. I think it was sweet of her to want only Quentin to find her, which he eventually does anyway. I like the Margo on the inside a lot beter!

No comments:

Post a Comment