Friday, October 28, 2011

The Last Song- Connection

In The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks, I can really connect to the main character, Ronnie. She goes through so much in this bok that it's hard not to relate some part of her life back to my own. Throughout the book, she makes mistakes, she learns, and she forgives. I think that there are many examples of times when I connect to her.

When Ronnie first meets Will, who turns out to be the love of her life, she is extremely cautious. Even though she thinks that he's kind of cute, and acted nicely, she doesn't react that way back to him: "' Are you okay?' he panted. 'I'm fine', she snapped." She obviously doesn't really want anything to do with him. When I meet new people, even though I'm reasonably friendly, I try to figure out what kind of a personality they have. I like to know whether they like the same things as me, and what kind of person they are. I think that instead of loving Will full-on from the start, Ronnie tried to figure out if he was really the guy she thought he was.

However, I can also connect to Ronnnie because of the fact that she plays an instrument, a connection on a more surfaced level. Ronnie had been playing the piano since a very little age, and she was a child prodigy. She loved playing the piano, and it was her life. I have been playing the piano since I was four years old, and I really like it. Music really intertwines with Ronnie's life, as well as mine. We both have a strong passion for playing, and have continued to for many years. These are both connections that I have found between me and the main charcter.

2 comments:

  1. I loved your connection to ronnie, you connected to the character in two contrasting ways like how your personalities are alike and how you play piano, i thought that was interesting to learn about,since i didn't know you played piano. Can't wait for another post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you summarized the text first. It made it so that the reader could really understand your thinking more. The instrument was an interesting way to connect. It really helped the reader relate with you and Ronny. Overall, good entry.

    ReplyDelete